Creation Story – Beginning of time…
1634– Begert description of Mohawk/Oneida villages/way of life
1700’s-1800’s– Handsome Lake (research specific dates)
1702- Queen Anne of England, through the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, sends missionaries to work among the five Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy in New York State. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1989)
1775 – the American Revolution begins.
July 1775– The Continental Congress sent an address to the Six Nations urging them to remain neutral in the struggle with England.
May 1776- Continental Congress deemed it necessary to procure assistance of the Indians against the British. Attractive remunerative offers were made. No material aid, however, resulted.
August 6, 1777 – The Battle of Oriskany during the American Revolution was one of the bloodiest battles of the war. The battle, fought in the current state of New York, resulted in the deaths of approximately 50 percent of the American forces and 15 percent of the British forces. Considered a significant part of the Saratoga campaign, the battle included United States, British, and Loyalist troops as well as Indian fighters from the Oneida, Iroquois Confederacy, Huron and Nipissing tribes and nations. Based on the casualties and results of the battle, the British forces claimed a tactical victory while the long-term result was a strategic victory for the United States.
1777- An article was incorporated in the New York State Constitution declaring invalid all purchases of territory from the Natives since October 17, 1774 and forbidding cession in the future without permission from the State.
Winter 1777 – George Washington’s troops were short on supplies and were starving. The Oneidas sent 40 warriors and 1 woman named Polly Cooper with 600 baskets of white corn. The warriors had to hold off the hungry men because if they would have eaten the raw corn they could become very sick. Polly Cooper taught the men how to make corn soup and bread with the white corn. Later she was recognized with a black shawl from Martha Washington.
July 9, 1778- The Articles of Confederation were adopted by the Continental Congress.
1783- Treaty of Paris-End of the Revolutionary War.
1783- When the agents of Congress were in the process of negotiating the Treaty of Fort Stanwix, New York deliberately endeavored to thwart their success.
1784- Fort Stanwix Treaty-guaranteed territorial integrity of the Oneida Nation.
1785- Fort Herkimer Treaty-Oneidas sold a portion of their land between the Unadilla and Chenago Rivers from the source of the rivers to where they empty into the Sesquehanna River to the Tuscarora was included in the cession. Oneidas lose 300,000 acres.
September 17, 1787- Adoption of the U.S. Constitution
1788- Fort Schuyler Treaty (formerly Fort Stanwix). Oneidas cede all lands in New York to the state. Approximately 5 1/2 million acres. They reserved 300,000 acres in Madison and Oneida Countries for themselves. New York paid the Oneidas $2,000 in cash and $2,000 in clothing, $1,000 in provisions and $500 to build grist and saw mills. In addition, New York promised an annuity of $600.
1789- Fort Herkimer Treaty
1784-1781– Treaty Era
Mission Schools- Were present in Wisconsin. Boarding schools existed in Tomah, Wittenberg, Keshena, (St. Michael’s), and Bad River (St. Mary’s)
Removal- Removal started before 1785, the year of the Revolutionary War. Tribes would be moved to the west, by Oklahoma.
1790-The articles as finally adopted gave congress the sole and exclusive power of “regulating the trade and managing all affairs with the Indian, not members of any of the States, provided that the legislative right of any State within its own limits be not infringed or violated.
1790– Trade and Non-Intercourse loss of Economy Act. Presently, the State of New York is being sued under this act along with Article 2 of the Treaty of the Onondagwa.
1793– Adoption of the Non-Intercourse Act.
November 11, 1794- Treaty of Canadaigua or sometimes called the Pickering Treaty – guaranteed territorial integrity of the Oneida Nation-provided annuity to assist Oneidas and other members of the Six Nations. This treaty was signed in Canadaigua, NY. Today, this treaty is still celebrated to remind the U.S. Government of their commitment to the Iroquois Nations. To read more please click here: http://www.ganondagan.org/Learning/Canandaigua-Treaty
December 2, 1794- Treaty noting the loyalty of the Oneidas and Tuscaroras during the Revolution and gave a grant of $5,000 to settle all claims.
1795- Oneida sold a portion of their land on the south and east side of the Lake Oneida but reserving lake rights as well as half mile sections along the north shore. Price $2,952 and an annuity of $2,952 based on 3 cents per acre.
1796- 1796 Map of New York
1798- Oneidas sold all the land from the last purchase “…running nothernly to a buttonwood tree marked…on the south side…with three notches” then 1 1/2 miles along the Main Genesse Road with a breadth of three miles on the south side and one mile on the north side plus 1,280 acres-for $200 cash and an annuity of $700.
1800 – Removal of Indians
1800- Letter from S. Kirkland
1802- Another sale of land joining previously purchased sections, $900 cash and a $300 annuity. Split into the Christian and Pagan Party.
1805- Oneidas divided remaining reservation into two parts-Christians (Skenandoah) and Pagan (Cornelius)
1805- George Scriba Report
1807- Albany-Christian Party ceded a portion of their land for an annual rent of 6% of seventy-five cents per acre. A sum of $600 was advanced to the Christian Party.
1809- Albany-Pagan Party rented land for annual rate of 6% based on value of 56 cents per acre. The state advanced $1,000.
1809- Albany- Christian Party sold 7,500 acres for $1,600 and an annuity of $120.
1809- Speech to the Senecas
1810- Albany-Christian Party sold land for $800 and an annuity based on 6% of 50 cents per acre.
1811- Albany- Christianity Party sold another tract for $600 plus a 5% annuity based on an acre price of 50 cents.
1811- Oneida- Parties not specified Oneidas relinquished all claim to Stockbridge and Brothertown reserves for $2,400.
1814-Eleazor Williams back from the war settles as pastor to the Oneidas.
March 3, 1815- Christian Party released several acres at $1 per acre.
1815-1816– Second Christian party formed from most of the Pagan Party
1816- Speech of John Scanandoa
1816- Project Canterbury
1816-1817– Biddles Recollections
1817- Albany-Second Christian Party (formerly called Pagan Party) exchanged land with New York, the State receiving 1,356 acres and giving 678 acres plus $1,200.
March 27, 1817- Christian Party sold 600 acres to obtain funds to build a church
1817-Reverend Eleazer Williams proposes western removal to Green Bay
1817-1825– The year of the Erie Canal Project. The United States government needed the territory of the Oneida Tribe in New York to complete the project and to hook up the channel.
1818- Papers of John Calhoun
1819- Ad for the Royal Circus
1819- De Witt Clinton
1820- Letters criticizing Col. Bowyer for creating an unauthorized treaty to purchase land in the Fox Valley area.
1820-1829– The Territorial Papers of The United States
1820-1830– January Treaty Notes
1821– Reverend Eleazor Williams who originally from Michigan and made a treaty between the Oneida and Menominee/Winnebago. The Oneidas purchase land from the Menominees and Winnebagoes by Treaty: lands to be located on both sides of the Fox river for a consideration of $2,000.
1821– Williams goes to Green Bay; acts as pastor to Garrison at Fort Howard
1822- Article describing Fur Trade in Wisconsin
1822- Original S. DeWitt Letter
1822– Oneidas make additional purchase for $3,000 and confirmed by President James Monroe the following year
1822– First party of Oneidas settles in Duck Creek, Wisconsin. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1822– The Menominee negotiated 9 million acres of land to the Oneida Tribe in Wisconsin. The Oneida Tribe did not experience forcible removal since the Tribe negotiated. Forcible removal means to use the Army to round up the Indian people to relocate.
1822– First Christian Party of over 400 settle in northern part of the reservation (Daniel Bread leader)
1822-1840– Eleazor Williams papers. Eleazor Williams took money from the War Department, the Episcopal Church and the Ogden Land Company to move the Oneida’s west. Eleazor was the facilitator due to his personal interest for money. He was under the guise of a catechist, fluent in the Mohawk language. Episcopal church record diocese in Fond du Lac. Eleazor Williams married Madeline Jourdan (Menominee/French), heir to prime parcels of land.
1823– President Monroe sanctions Oneida purchases
1823- New York court case, Goodell v. Jackson -Court case on whether or not Native Americans should be considered citizens of the United States
1823– Second Christian party arrives with over 200 people led by Neddy Otsisquette and settles in southern part of the reservation
1823-1841-The first group of Oneida people moved to Wisconsin in 1823. The last group of Oneida people moved to Wisconsin in 1841.
1824- Albany-First Christian Party sold two tracts of land at Oneida Castle. First tract-$350 and an annuity of $240. Second tract-$800 and an annuity of $60.
1824-1880– Microfilm of letters to Commissioner and Secretary of Interior. These letters were written by the Indian agents to the Commissioner and Secretary of Interior. If the Tribe wanted to build buildings or cut timber, the agents had to write the letter to obtain permission.
1825- The little, log Hobart Church is erected, with Eleazer Williams as missionary. This is the first church erected in Wisconsin and all of the Northwest. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1825– The first holy Apostles Episcopal Church was built in Wisconsin and all the Northwest territory.
1825– Ratified treaty no. 139
1826- Albany- Second Christian Party sold more land at $3.00 an acre.
1827- Albany- Orchard Party sold land for $3.50 an acre. The state paid $700 at the singing with remainder due after the survey.
1827– Treaty at Butte des Mort’s (Wisconsin) between the U.S. and the Menominee’s defrauding Oneidas who were not participants in the treaty.
1827– Ratified treaty no. 148
1829 – 1837 – The Territorial Papers of the United States
1829- Albany- First Christian Party sold land for $1,500, in addition New York was to pay a 6% annuity to support a teacher at Green Bay, Wisconsin.
1829- Albany- First Christian Party received a $1,000 for the sale of additional land.
1830- Congress passed the Indian Removal Act through President Andrew Jackson. The Removal Act wanted Tribes to move from the East to the West of the Mississippi.
1830- Albany- Orchard Party sold land for $1,200.
1830- Green Bay Report
1830 – Petition by New York Indians
1830- James McCall’s Journal
1830-1918– Oneida Mission Church History
1831 – Treaty with Menominee Tribe
February 8, 1831- Oneidas receive 500,000 acres from the Menominee’s.
1831-1838– February 8, 1831, the original treaty, signed with the Menominee Tribe, nine (9) million acres, was reduced to 500,000 acres due to the Stambaugh Treaty. The Stambaugh Treaty reduced the holding to 500,000 for the Oneida, Brothertown and Stockbridge.
1833-1837- Green Bay Agency Records
1834- Albany- Orchard Party sold more land for $1,400.
1836– Treaty Ground
1836- 1848- History of the Territory of Wisconsin
1836-1848– Territory of Wisconsin
1837- Albany- Orchard Party sold one acre “being the land on which the church or school house stands” for “such sum as may be obtained for the same…after deducting therefrom the costs and expense of such sale.”
1837- Land Office Business
March 12, 1837– Oneida was established as Duck Creek in Brown County, but the name was changed to Oneida on August 5, 1850. Originally known as Duck creek, Wisconsin in Brown County, the name was changed to Oneida, Wisconsin on August 5, 1850. (Post Office letter dated June 23, 1976)
January 15, 1838- Treaty of Buffalo Creek-Oneidas ceded certain land in Wisconsin reducing reserve to 65,436 acres. They also ceded lands in New York and agreed to emigrate to land set aside in the Kansas Territory.
January 3, 1838– Buffalo Creek Treaty- gave 1.8 million acres of land to move the Oneidas to Kansas City, Missouri. 5,000 acres of the land was in Canada. Some of the Wisconsin Oneida’s moved to Kansas City.
January 3, 1838– 1838 Census- Counted 654 Oneida People. A formula was created to give 100 acres per Oneida tribal member. The total land base is 65,430 acres.
February 3,1838– Oneida Treaty- Reduction in Land (500,000 to 65,430 acres) Established 65,430 acre boundary of the Oneida Reservation (7 Sat.566) Treaty of Buffalo Creek- Reservation is reduced to 65,436 acres. 8×12 square miles, Census 654 Oneidas. Christian party- 448 persons and Orchard party- 206 persons.
1838-1842– Kansas Claims
200 homeless Oneidas remained on New York with no allotment in Wisconsin, Canada or Kansas City.
1838-1924- Journal Entry
1839- The frame church is built to replace the little, log church. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26,1986)
1840– The Oneida chiefs from Wisconsin wrote an invitation letter to the 200 homeless Oneidas in New York. The Wisconsin Oneidas promised land and a place to live. The Reverend Woodman led the Oneida’s from New York to Wisconsin. The homeless Oneidas were not accepted. They did not have a place to live. This went on for 50 year. The homeless Indians lived near the Town of Osborn and The Town of Seymour.
1840-1845– Rev. Henry Colman MSS Methodist Missionary
1840-1845– Recollections of Oneida Indians
1841- Third Party (remnant of the Orchard Party of Second Christian) arrive with 44 Oneidas near present site of Little Chute area and later moved to the southern part of the reservation.
1841- Prince de Jonville visits Eleazor Williams at Green Bay, Wisconsin. Williams claimed to be the lost Dauphin of France.
1842- Last members of Oneida split and a portion sold their land and moved from New York to either Canada or Wisconsin.
1845- New York census
1846- Albany- Treaty made with the state with representatives of New York, Wisconsin and Canadian Oneidas to dispose of the Missionary Lot in Westmoreland, Oneida County, a total of 22.5
(From 1785 to 1846 a total of 26 treaties were made by which the State of New York acquired almost all of the Oneida lands. A majority of the Oneidas moved to either Canada or Wisconsin. A few moved to Kansas. Some Oneida chose to remain in New York)
1848– Wisconsin becomes a state.
1848-1854– Newspaper Clippings pt1
1848-1854– Newspaper Clippings pt2
August 5,1850– The Duck Creek name was changed to Oneida.
1851- Green Bay Agency Records
1853- Women’s Guild is formed by Reverend and Mrs. Edward A. Goodnough. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1853- July 12th Census Acted
1854- Letter to Henry Dodge
1854- July 13th G.B. Advocate
1854-1855- Report of the Northern’s Superintendency
1856- October 22nd Report
1857- Letter to Hon. Charles
1857-1858– Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs
1858- Oneida a Sketch
1858- Oneida a Sketch pt2
1858– Eleazor Williams died in New York.
1858-1860– Digest of Claims Legislature and Canal Board
1860-1880– John Archiquette diary was written. John Archiquette was the caption of the Oneida ? Police Department. The diary notes who died, who cut trees, who was buried, who was born, the epidemics. His son is Oscar Archiquette.
1860- Letter to F.L. Fallmafge
1860- Letter to President
1860- Lyman Draper Collections
1860- Samuel Battle, Jr. Diary
1861- July 28th Letter
1866-1867- Report of Indian Affairs
1867- Green Bay Agency Records
1868-1874– Diary of Capt. John Archiquette
1870- Laws of New York
1870– The work began to build a larger church made out of stone. The Holy Apostles Church on the Oneida reservation was built with 300 cords of dolomite. (limestone) (2,880 tons of stone). Oneida begin to quart stone for new church. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1871– Economic factors instead of treaties. U.S. no longer makes treaties. Affairs handled through negotiation.
1871– This year was known for two major fires. The Peshtigo Fire and the Chicago Fire. The Peshtigo Fire destroyed the entire town and 2,000 lives were lost. Some of the Oneida and Menominee property was damaged as well. In order to rebuild Peshtigo and Oneida, timber was needed. The Oneida reservation had plenty of White Pine to rebuild both cities. Since the title of the Oneida land belonged to the United States Federal Government, the government had the ability to sell the timber to Peshtigo. This is why Oneida could not sell their timber until the Dawes Allotment Act of 1887.
1872– The Hampton Boarding School in Hampton Virginia began accepting Indian students. The Federal Government created a Civilization Fund which awarded $10,000 to build boarding schools. The closest boarding school was located in Tomah, Wisconsin.
1873- October U.S. vs. Cook
1873- U.S. vs. Cook
1874- Timber- Logging- Agency
1877 – Records for the Hobart Church. Letter to the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States from Oneida, Wisconsin, and Chiefs & Headman of the First Christian Party of the Oneida Indians.
1877- Letter to Oneida Indians
1877- Oneida Notes
1879 – Letter to Honorable Commissioner of Indian Affairs regarding agent Bridgman’s innocence, followed by a petition asking for careful consideration of this matter by the Department. Signed by 10 Chiefs and 168 warriors.
1871-1880– 1,728 Oneida People according to the Census
1879-1880– Oneida Letter to the U.S. Gov.
1880- Letter from E. Stephens
1880- Letter to E. Stephens
1881- ARCIA Report
1882- George Doxtator (Sachem)
1882- Letter to Leo Doxtator
1882- Quit Claims Deed
1883- Brief Kansas Claims
1883- Brief Kansas Claims
1883- Letter to Indian Agent
1884- Sister of the Holy Nativity of Fond du Lac come to Oneida. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26,1986)
1884- ARCIA Report
1884- Report on flood
1884- The Spirit Missions
1884- New York Indian Agency
1885– Major Crimes in the boarding schools, Census, Civil War papers, Pension Records
1885- Major Crime Act
1885- Missions to the Oneidas
1885- ARCIA Report
1885- Letter to Indian Affairs
1885- Missions to the Oneidas
1885- Case No. 29
1886– The Holy Apostles Church was dedicated.
1886- Oneida and Menominee
1886- Convent building was constructed. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1887- New stone church is consecrated by Bishop Brown. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1887- General Allotment Act
February 8, 1887- Henry Lauren Dawes, senator from Massachusetts, was the author of the Dawes Allotment Act. It was on this date that the Dawes Allotment Act was passed. (Dawes Act)
February 8, 1887- Protest signed by over 800 Oneidas against the Allotment Act.
February 8, 1887– February 8, 1887 Dawes Allotment Act Passed by President Benjamin Harrison Divided tribal property into small parcels of 160 acres or less.
1887- Letter to John Adams
1887- Letter to U.S. Attorney
1888– Whipple report
1888- Letter to A.J. Willard
1888- Letter to T.R. Hudd
1888- Timber Report
1888- Annual Report
1888- 57th Annual Report
1889- Continued Proclamation
1889- 58th Annual Report
1890- Indian Helper
1891– John C. Hart set aside 80 acres (located at the Norbert Hill Center) for the Oneida Boarding School.
1891- Legislative Documents
1892- Allotment of the Oneida Reservation by Executive Order under directive of general provisions of the Dawes Act. All land was allotted except for 85 acres which was retained for “school purposes.”
1892– George Doxtator sold 38 acres, located next to the future Oneida Boarding School to the United States School Reserve which totaled 118 acres for the Oneida boarding school.
1892- Annual Mohonk Conference
1892- Oneida Volunteers
1892- Six Nations of New York
1893- Oneida Hospital is begun by Reverend Solomon S. Burleson. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1896)
1893– The Oneida Boarding School (located on the Norbert Hill Site ) officially opened.
1893- Indian Affairs
1893- Southern Workers
1895- Chancel of the stone church erected. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1896)
1896- Record of Payment
1896- Letter from H.M Stetson
1896-1921- Tomah Indian Industrial School Records
1897- The name “Holly Apostles” is added to Hobart Church. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet 26, 1986)
1898- Oneida Hospital opens. The Vested Choir sings for the first time- 38 men and boys and a supplementary choir of women and girls- making the number of voices 50 in all. Oneida Women begin making lace through the Sybil Carter Lace Association. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1899- Green Bay Gazette
1899- Kansas Claims
1899-1923– Newspaper articles, Boarding School Records (1893-1919)
1901- Mission Creamery opens with one customer bringing milk (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1901-1910– May 1, 1906- Burk Act, Discretion in the length of the trust Status., Authorized allotments to U.S. if tribal members died before the expiration date of the trust period.
1902- Hobart vs. Doxtator
1902- Daniel D. Tompkins
1903- Chief Cornelius Hill, last chief of the Oneidas, is ordained a priest. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1903- Biography of Student
1903- Parkhurst, Alex
1903- Hill, Flanniqan Kay
1905- The Oneida Hospital is converted into dispensary. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1906-Bishop Grafton Parish Hall is Built. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1906- Burke Act: Certificates of Competency could be issued which would allow Oneidas to put their allotted lands in fee status.
1907- Monument to Chief Cornelius Hill is erected in churchyard. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26,1986)
1908- Letter from Alex
1908- Letter to Commissioner
1909- Letter to Commissioner
1909- Dennison Wheelock
1909- Wheelock Dennison
1909- Land Claims
1910- Oneida Reservation is divided into 2 townships- Oneida and Hobart and into 2 counties- Brown and Outagamie.
1911- New York Land Claim
1911-1916– The Search for an American Indian Identity
March 3, 1911 Oneida Letter from the Secretary of Interior – report of negotiations with Oneida Indians for commutation of their perpetual annuities.
1913- Minnie Kellogg Article
1913- Thames, Oneida Census
1913-1922– Doxtator Case and Oneida Petition
1913-1922– Doxtator Case and Oneida Petition pt2
1913-1931– Menominee Pictographs Iroquois
1914- Letter to R.H. Pratt
1914-1917– Oneida Wisconsin School Information
1917- Dennison Wheelock
1917- Trust Pend of Allotment
1917- Federal Competency
1917- Federal Competency pt2
1917- Federal Competency pt3
1917- Federal Competency pt4
1919- Six Nation Conference
1919- Special Meeting
1919– The Oneida Boarding School closes despite an attempt by the Oneida people to keep the school open. There were 200 student attending the Boarding School before it closed.
1920- Stone church is struck by lightning and everything but the stone walls and foundation is destroyed. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1920- U.S. vs. Boylan
1920- Land Claims
1920- Oneida Boarding School
1920-1930– Land Claims Letter
1921- Oneida Indian Centennial
1921- Wheelock, Dennison
1921-1930– 65,430 acres
1921- Rebuilding of the stone church is begun. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1922- Letter about Allotment
1922- Letter to Edward Everett
1922- Letter to Senator
1922- Oneida Petition
1922- Rebuilt stone church is consecrated by Bishop Weller. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1923- Letter to Henry Doxtator
1923-The State Bank of Oneida opens.
1924- File 260 N.Y. Land Files
1924- Seminary purchases land set aside for “school purposes.”
1924- The Oneida Tribe owned the Oneida Boarding School. In 1924, the BIA sold the Property for $24,000 since the BIA was the trustee. The Oneidas wanted to keep the land for themselves; however, the United States sold it and divided the earnings among the Oneida. The Oneida people opposed the closing and sale of the boarding school. The Murphy Land and Investment Company, a front property for the Catholic Diocese.
1924- Indian Citizenship Act
1924- The first per capita payment was received. The Oneida Boarding school was sold for $24,000 and the Oneida’s received a per capita. (How much? Loretta Metoxen)
1924-1925– Journal Entry
1926- Lace Industry
1927- 99% Oneida Tribal members landless.
1927- Files No. 70 Land Claims
1930- A rectory is erected at Holy Apostles Church. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1930– Deskaheh, By 1930 only a 1,000 acres of the reservation remained.
1930-1940– Autobiography about going to School
1930-1940– WPA Stories (Amelia Jordan)
1930-1940– WPA Stories (Alex Metoxen)
1930-1940– WPA Stories (Ida Blackhawk)
1930-1940– WPA Stories (Mrs. (Freddie) Rosette House)
1930-1940– WPA Stories (Mrs. Cora Charles)
1931- Campisi Boylan
1934– Indian Reorganization Act/JOM, Established the blood quantum of 1/4
1934- File 20 N.Y. Land Files
1934- Passage of the Indian Reorganization Act (IRA) which enabled tribal government to function.
1934- Oneida government formed under State Charter. Oscar Archiquette elected Chairman.
1935- Oneida Town Board
1935- WPA Stories
1935- WPA Stories pt2
1935- Treaty Action
1935- Mark N. Powless served as Chairman under the State Charter.
1935-1941– WPA Records, New collections Lounsbury
1936- Deed of Nations
1936- Deed of Nations pt2
1936- Morris Wheelock Chairman under State Charter.
1937- Oneida Tribe of Wisconsin formed under Federal Charter. Morris Wheelock elected Chairman. Tribal government formed under IRA. 1,270 acres purchased back and placed in trust status for the Oneida Tribe. Officers elected for 1 year terms.
1937- Corporate Charter
1939- The first Boy and Girl Scout troops are formed at Holy Apostles. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1939-40- Mark N. Powless elected Chairman.
1940- Bureau of Indian Affairs
1940- The People of Red Stone
1940- WPA Story (Tom Elm)
1940-1950- Oneida Tribe Education- Employment- Housing
1940-43- Raymond Parkhurst elected Chairman.
1941- Clara Webster
1941- Housing in Oneida
1941- Investment by Oneida
1941- Mrs. Maraian Cornelius
1941- Mrs. Jane Cornelius
1941- An organ is donated at Holy Apostles Church in the memory of Reverend A. Perker Curtiss, Missionary to Oneida; and Walter J. Koehler, Governor of Wisconsin. The organ was donated by Evangeline, Marie and Lillie Kohler. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1943-47- Hyson D. Cornelius elected Chairman.
1944– National Congress of American Indians
1946– Indian Clams Commission
1947– Eleazor Williams Bones were removed from New York and buried at the Episcopal Church in Oneida. Eleazor Williams is reburied in Holy Apostles Cemetery. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26,1986)
1947-51- Julius Danforth Elected Chairman.
1948- Holy Apostles Church provides 10 acres of land to the Oneida for recreational purposes. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1950- Land Claims
1950- Picture Milwaukee Group
1950– Schools were consolidated
1951- Treaty Action
1951-52- Andrew Beechtree elected Chairman.
1952- Treaty Action
1952– Started to bus to local schools
1952-54- Dennison Hill elected Chairman.
1953– Termination. Relocation blood quantum, Public Law 280 Status
1954-63- Julius Danforth elected Chairman.
1958-1969- Jerry Hill
1960’s & 1970’s_____________________________________________________________
1960– Johnson’s war on poverty programs
1960- Operation Bootstrap
1960- Indian Map
1960- Letters to Walt (Taylor)
1961- A Wisconsin Boy in Dixie
1963– Oneida Housing Authority Formed. First housing project is planned to be built in Site One. The Oneida Housing Authority was formed in 1963 as a delegate agency for the purpose of building homes under the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Program. (Source: 1972 Comprehensive Plan)
1963-64- Irene Moore elected Chairwoman.
1964- Enrollment Names
1965- The Headstart Program begins in the Parish Hall with Anna John, Maxine Wheelock, Evelyn Elm, Mary Gillis, Priscilla Manders, Lee McLester Sr.< Audrey Doxtator, and Jim Schuyler. (Kalihwisaks, October 2, 1997, page 15)
1966- Holy Postles Church provides 15 acres land to the Oneidas for 44 unit public Housing project. (site One) (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1967- Oneida Mission School closed. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1967- Constitution + By-Laws
1967- The Future was Secured
1964-67- Norbert S. Hill elected Chairman. (Kalihwisaks, July 1983, Volume 14)
1967-75- Norbert S. Hill elected as Council Member. ( Kalihwisaks, July 1983, Volume 14)
October 4, 1967– Purchased 25 acres. Present use: Walmart/Sams Club.
September 1967- The New York Immigrant Claim. This entitled the Oneida tribal members to a per capita payment. 15% was places into reservation development and 85% was placed into the trust account. This was done 10 years latter in 1977.
1967-81- Purcell R. Powless elected Chairman.
1968- Housing Ordinance
1968- Pennsylvania History
1968– Indian Civil Rights Act, Federal Programs, OEO/GLITC
1968- Bruce and Mary Schroeder opens Schroeder’s Grocery Store in central Oneida. (Kalihwisaks, May 22, 1995, page 11)
1968– The Postal office was in the lean to the next to Schroeder’s grocery. Loretta Metoxen delivered mail.
1968– GLITC formed headstart for the school Added the Food Distribution Program Received a 701 Planning Grant. Four planners were paid and housed in the Chicago Corners building.
1968- Memorandum of Lewis Cass
1968-81– Created the Wisconsin Indian Education Committee
1969-1971– Verify if children are at least 1/4 Oneida
1969- Terms of Officers changed to 3 years
1970- School Lunch Fact Sheet
1970-1978– Tribal Officers at Chicago Corners
1970- The 1970 U.S. Census reports a resident Indian population of 1,342. An additional 799 Indians are reported in areas adjacent to the reservarion.
1970- The Oneida Tribe receives a gift of 25 acres from the Diocese of Fondulac. Present use: Site I Housing.
1971- Summer School Program
1971- Cooperstown History
1971-1980- 1970- 1978– Tribal Officers are established at Chicago Corners.
1972- Donation of Indian artifacts to the University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point, Museum of Natural History, for the preservation of Indian culture. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1972- Indian Education Act
1972- The Oneida Headstart Center was selected in 1972 as one of the two Headstart Centers on a Indian reservation throughout the country to serve as a Demonstration Center. (OEDP)
1973- The Oneida Business Committee includes: Purcell Powless- Chairman, Irene Moore- Vice Chairman, Alma Webster- Treasurer, Margaret Doxtater- Secretary. Members included- Norbert Hill, Eva Danforth, Loretta Ellis, Gordon McLester, and Wendel McLester.
1973- Oneida Post Office opens at the Schroeder building.
1973- The Oneida Tribal budget grew form $375,000 to a projected $34 million in 1986. (Kalihwisaks, February 1985)
1973- 1984– The Oneida Tribe rented space in the Sacred Heart Building from the Green Bay Diocese. Loretta Metoxen negotiated with the Green Bay Diocese for the Sacred Heart Building. The property was appraised at $1.35 million. The Oneida Tribe purchased the property for $800,000. The Green Bay Diocese gave the land back to the Oneida.
May 1973- Oneida Nation Memorial Building was open and is also known as the Civic Center. It contains over 16,000 square feet of floor area, including a gymnasium. The Civic Center is presently known as the Sonny King Memorial Building. (1977-79 OEDP, Page 12)
July 1973- Purchased 26 acres. Present use: Casino Site, 202 Airport Drive.
1973- Bingo established the 1973 Comprehensive Plan Oneida Postal Offices created. The 701 Comprehensive Planning Program is written
1973- Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act corporate structure war over resources 1980’s
1975- Self- Determination
April 11, 1975- Purchased 30 acres. Present use: IMAC, 2100 Airport Drive.
July 1975- June 1983- Norbert S. Hill Sr. serves as Vice Chairman. (Kalishwisaks, July 1983, Volume 14)
August 1975- The Oneida Tribal Development Corporation (OTDC) was established under a charter of the Tribal government. The corporation in a non- profit organization primarily intended to serve as a contractor in the general construction field, with the purpose of providing employment and job training for tribal members. The OTDC constructed the Post Office (1975-76), Nursing Home (1976-77), Museum (1976-77), Health Center (1977), and the ongoing Housing Program. (OEDP 1977-79, page 12)
June 26 1976- The Post Office, Youth Training Center and Arts/Crafts building was dedicated. A new building complex will be dedicated in honor of the late Oscar Archiquette for devoted service to his people. This new building will be occupied by the United States Post Office, the Indian Action Team Program and the Arts and Crafts Program.
Fall 1976- Sandra Ninham and Alma Webster begin a Bingo operation as volunteers in the fall od 1976, beginning in a gymnasium with additional volunteer help from their families to run bingo one night a week. (Kalishwisaks, December 1985)
1977- Administrative Structure
1977- Letter From: Oneida Business Committee
1977- The Oneida Business Committee included: Purcell Powless- Chairman; Norbert Hill, Sr.- Vice Chairman; Amelia Cornelius- Secretary; Chester Smith, Jr.- Treasurer. Members included: Loretta Metoxen, Richard Hill, Wendell McLester, Robert Thomas, Margaret Doxtator.
1977- Parish Hall closed. Community events were to be held in the church basement instead of the Parish Hall. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church booklet, July 26, 1986)
1977-79– Forty (40) units are being built under the 10-5 housing program. Most of these will go into the Cora House, Rolling Hills and Ridegeland subdivisions as well as scattered locations (1977-79 OEDP, pages )
1977-79– The first housing project located by Site One, the Wis, 10-1 consists of six (6) low rent units for elderly and eighteen (18) low rents units. The Second housing program (10-2) was a Mutual Help or Sweat Equity Project. More than 20 homes were involved in Site One. The third housing program was a turn-key project. Fifteen units- five for the elderly- were located in Site One, while the remaining were built at Site Two, the Flying Leaf Subdivision. An additional 25 homes were constructed at Site Two. These include 10 elderly units. (1977-79 OEDP, page 11)
1977- Oneida Health Center opens. This structure costing $525,000 will house the Community Health Programs which were located at the Civic Center.(1977-79 OEDP, page 12)
1977?- Oneida Bingo operations begin at Oneida Memorial Building also known as the Civic Center, then dedicated to Sonny King Memorial Building.
April 19, 1977- Received a gift of 6.43 acres from the Diocese of Fondulac. 6.43 acres. Present use: Ball diamond-Site I. (Land Management Records)
March 1977- The Land Office was created by a General Tribal Directive. The Land Committee membership was increased to seven members and regular meetings were established.
August 1977- Oneida Nursing Home opens, This is a 50 bed residential facility, built by the Oneida Tribal Development Corporation was made possible by a HEW grant and private contributions. The nursing home will employ 25 persons on a full time basis and 23 part time. The building cost is in excess of $1 million. (1977-79- OEDP, page 12)
1977- Bingo begins at Memorial Building. Bingo established the need for the 1973 Comprehensive Plan
1978- Oneida Nursing Home
1978- Police (News Clipping)
1978- Oneida Cannery opens
1978- Purchased 56 acres. Present use: Iroquois Farm. (Land Management Records)
1978- The Iroquois Farm begins operation. The farm was then known as the Iroquois farm. the Iroquois Farm consisted of approximately 150 acres and 25 head of cattle. The farm was located on two arms in the area of Oneida on highway 172 and Florist Drive. (Kalihwisaks, September 26, 1996, page 5)
1978- The Oneida Agricultural program started through the Department of Labor’s Native American Economic Stimulus Program. IT has provided training for prospective agriculturalists and permitted a substantial expansion of the Tribe’s community garden operations. A fifty- six (56) acre farm was acquired on a land contract. Again, there is great potential for future activities in this area particularly in hog production. (OEDP, 1979-81, page5)
1960’s & 1970’s
1978-?- Oneida Business Committee moves from Chicago Corner to the Civic Center Committee moves from Civic Center to NHC
1978- Religious Freedom
January 25, 1978- Purchased 1.71 acres. Present use: ORCOA. (Land Management Records)
January 1978- The Oneida Nursing Home, which accepted its first residents in January 1978, nine months later reached full occupancy. The facility created thirty-one (31) full time and sixteen (16) part-time new jobs. Twenty-nine (29) of these are held by Tribal members. (1979-1981 OEDP, page 3)
July 1978- Through an assessment of indirect cost, plus funding from other sources, the employment of the Business Committee on a full-time basis was made possible. This move has greatly improved knowledge and management of the Tribe’s program as well as overall Tribal decision making. The Business Committee moves to the Oneida Nation Memorial Building also known as the Civic Center. (OEDP 1979-81, page 1)
July 1978- The Oneida Health Clinic, an Economic Development Administration (EDA) project was dedicated in July 1978. The center has forty-five (45) fulltime employees, twenty-six (26) of which are Tribal members (1979-1981 OEDP, page 3)
1979- Diocese of Fond Du Lac
1979- Oneida Land Questions
1979- Letter to: Mr. McLester
1979- Oneida Band Council
1979- Mohawk Longhouse
1979- Stealing my Homeland
May 1979- Oneida Tobacco Enterprises begins working out the Tribal Development Corporations Office.
June 8, 1979- Multipurpose center. Purchased the Lutheran property for a multipurpose center. Sold sand for $20,000 to build a bridge in Ashwaubenon. Housing: 20 additional single family housing units and 10 elderly apartment units Constructed by the Oneida Housing Authority.
Sat. June 23, 1979- The Oneida Museum is dedicated.
Fall 1979- The Oneida Tribal school opened its doors to students in Kindergarten through the 8th grade.
1979- 20 additional single family housing units and 10 elderly apartment units were constructed by the Oneida Housing Authority.
1980- Let Indians Have Bingo
1980- Gaming compact signed?
1980- The Food Distribution Program begins at the Fish Creek Road location. (Meet with Nori Damrow)
1981- Report on Attendance
1981- About 20 Memorandum
1981- Historical Background
1981- Management Agreement
1981- Oneida News Letter
1981- Link in the Chain
1981-1983- Overall Economic Development Plan
July 26, 1981- Dedication for the Fire Station for the Town of Oneida.
1982- OTDC (Help Grove)
1982- Letters to Gordy
1982- Draft of By-Laws
1982- Letter to Director
1982- Letter to Grant Agency
1982- NeH Implementation Grant
1982- Shenadoah Newsletter
1981-82– Gary G. Metoxen elected Chairman. A removal petition was filed to remove the entire Business Committee. Removal of Wendell McLester, Lloyd Powless, Norbert Hill, Sr., Gordon Mclester and Howard Cannon?
1982-1990- Purcell R. Powless elected Chairman.
May 1982- Purchased .75 acres. Present use: Oneida One Stop 54. The Oneida Tribe purchased the Thomas Oil Company. A sheriff’s auction was held on December 21, 1981 for the Shell Station on Highway 54 in Oneida (Kalihwisaks, February 2, 1993)
May 1982- Water Tower at Rolling Hills.
May 1, 1982- First Oneida One Stop on Highway 54, opens with convenience grocery, gasoline and cigarette outlets.
May 1982- Construction begins on the Irene Moore Activity Center. The beautiful Irene Moore Activity Center is located in a scenic woodland setting on original Tribal Lands pursuant to an 1838 Treaty, on Airport Road, County Truck GG across from Austin Straubel Airport in Brown County.
1983- 6-Nations Amics Brief
January 27, 1983- The Village of Ashwaubenon approved the request by the Oneida Tribe of sewer and water extensions to the property at the northwest village area. The Oneida Tribe applied for a $776,000 grant from the Economic Development Administration which could cover all costs for installation of the extentions. ( Green Bay News Chronicle, January 27, 1983)
May 12, 1983- Irene Moore Activity Center is dedicated. IMAC houses 4 operations, the Bingo Activity, a food service & gift shop operations and a tobacco outlet operated co- operatively with the Tobacco Enterprise. The facility is approximately 300,000 square feet. The IMAC is currently open seven days a week, and employs approximately 124 workers in the areas of tobacco & Bingo sales, Maintenance, parking callers, floor workers, security, supervisors and management.
May 12, 1983- The manager Sandra Ninham and Assistant Manager Alma Webster began the Bingo operation as volunteers in the fall of 1976, beginning in a gymnasium with additional volunteer help from their families to run bingo one night a week.
The Oneida Tribe is able to finance and subsidize approximately 27 Tribal Programs, to name a few- Oneida Recreation, Oneida Nursing Home, Oneida Tribal School and Headstart, Plant Management, Oneida Cannery, Commission on Agining and a Tribal Public Safety Department. (Kalihwisaks, December 1985, page4)
May 15-17, 1983- Grand Opening week for the Oneida Bingo at the Irene Moore Activity Center. (Kalihwisaks, May 12, 1983)
August 1983- The Oneida Tribe is seeking a $500,000 economic development grant to fund a 250-room motel project. The Tribe must obtain 75 percent of its funding from private sources to be eligible for the Bureau of Indian Affairs grant. (Green Bay Press Gazette, Wednesday, August 24, 1983)
December 6, 1983- Preliminary Development Authority between Oneida Tribe and DeMars Development to build a 200 room hotel contingent on BIA loan Guaranty. (Rodeway Inn, Radisson)
December 13, 1983- Contracts were signed with Geupel- DeMars Development, Inc. of Indianapolis, IN to develop the hotel. The proposed facility will be franchised by Rodeway Inns International, and operated under management contract by lodging Systems Management, Inc., both based in Dallas, TX. (Green Bay Press Gazette, December 13, 1983, A-1)
1984- The Tree Sisters
1984- Airport Site
1984- State of Wisconsin
1984- The Brotherton Messenger
1984- Wisconsin State Assembly
1984- Brotherton Messenger
1984- A $40,000 grant from the United Thank Offering to update and begin remodeling the Convent building. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church, July 26, 1986)
1984- Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation Charter issued by the Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin. The Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation is separate corporation formed pursuant to Oneida Tribal law; and said corporation, as a legal entity, is required to follow certain processes in regard to the Oneida Tribe because of various loan agreements and grant requirements. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
1984- Corporate By Law- amended by Board of Directors April 23, 1991.
February 5, 1984- The Oneida One Stop Lucky U building opened on State Highway 29 and County Trunk U. (Green Bay Press Gazette, July 2, 1984)
April 5, 1984- Bureau of Indian affairs Loan Guaranty for $8.7 million for the Rodeway Inn. BIA guaranteed 90% of original State Bank of DePere loan for hotel construction and interior furnishings and equipment.(Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
April 1984- Purchased 123.13 acres. The Oneida Tribe purchased the Scared heart Seminary Building for $800,000 for improvements only. The Green Bay Diocese returned 91 acres and the remaining acres were turned over for roads and upgrades. (Loretta Metoxen and Land Management Records)
June 19, 1984- Architect Les Olds of C.S.O. Architects, Indianapolis, IN., said when the project was first explained to the public in December, a ‘Frank Lloyd Wright concept” will be used for the hotel so that the building “will seem to grow out of the ground.” (Green Bay News Chronicles, June 19, 1984, vol. 12, no.186)
June 1984- Pharmacy is added to the Oneida Health Center.
July 2, 1984- The Oneida Tribal government has 431 employees and an annual payroll of $5 million according to the Tribes semi-annual report. (Green Bay Press Gazette, July 2, 1984)
July 17, 1984- Land Lease between the Oneida Tribe and the Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation for parcel of land hotel occupies. 25 year lease with 25 year extension option. $8,000.00 per year rental payment. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
August 1984- Renames the Seminary Complex to the Norbert S. Hill Center.
September 26, 1984- A federal grant of $500,000 has been approved for the Oneida Indians proposed hotel project across from the Austin Straubel Field. The grant was provided by the Economic Development Administration in Chicago. The Tribe will pay the $340,000 balance of the project cost. (Green Bay Press Gazette, September 26, 1984)
November 1, 1984- A 1.5 million Urban Development Action Grant to the Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin has been approved. The UDAG funds will be used to finance a $10 million hotel project across County Trunk GG from Austin Straubel Airport. (Green Bay News Chronicle, Thursday, November 1, 1984, A-5)
November 2, 1984- DeMars Development Corporation of Indianapolis, IN and the Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation are project developers and the Oneida firm will be the principal owner of the hotel. (Green Bay News Chronicle, November 2, 1984)
November 12, 1984- the groundbreaking ceremony is held for The Oneida Rodeway Inn will contain 200 rooms, about 147,000 square feet of space and will have meeting space accommodations for 500 persons. There will be seating for 150 in the dining room and 150 in the lounge. (Green Bay News Chronicles, Tuesday, November 13, 1984, A-5)
December 4, 1984- An easement over Brown County land was granted to the Oneida Tribe for the purpose of widening a Rodeway into their bingo facility and future hotel complex by the Airport Committee. The easement was granted for a period of 20 years, as long as the road was used for entering into and exiting from the facility. At the end of the 20 year period, the easement can be extended for an additional 10 years. (Green Bay News Chronicle, December 4, 1984)
1985- First Friday Report
1985- Indian News Notes
1985- Letter to: Mr. Malval
1985- Oneida Law Office
1985- Oneida History Day
1985- Tax Free Status
1985- The Oneida Printing separates from the Kalihwisaks and becomes a commercial printing shop and in the 1985 presently doing $300,000 a year. Printing’s annual gross sales were $84,000 2 years ago and they employed 4 people. They now employ 10 people. (Kalihwisaks, April 10, 1987, page 25)
January 11, 1985- UDAG Grant Agreement between Oneida Tribe and Housing and Urban Development providing $1,745,000.00 in funding for hotel project. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
February 1, 1985- Management contract between Lodging Systems Management and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation for pre-opening service and operation of the hotel. 3% of gross sales or 10% of Gross Operating Profit, whichever is greater was LSM’s fee. (Radisson Time, Pat Lassila)
March 19, 1985- Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation subleases land parcel to Oneida Realty Group, which OAHC is the General Partner, $8,000.00 pre year rent to OAHC. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
March 29, 1985- UDAG Loan Agreement between Oneida Realty Group and Oneida Tribe where Oneida Tribe agrees to lone Oneida Realty Group $1,745,000.00 which it received in form of a UDAG Grant on 1/11/85 for hotel construction. $51,300.00 is paid quarterly to the Oneida Tribe. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
May 30, 1985- Oneida Realty Group Limited Partnership Agreement: OAHC- General Partner 75%, Indianapolis Oneida Group- 17.5%, CSO Equities- 7.5%. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
May 30, 1985- Option Agreement between Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation, CSO Equities and Indianapolis Oneida Group grants OAHC exclusive rights to option to purchase all of their Oneida Realty Group Limited Partnership interests (units) between June 1, 1990 and March 31, 1995. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
June 5, 1985- Construction work began on the Oneida Rodeway Inn on Wednesday, June 5, 1985. Gautheir Construction of Green Bay has been issued a letter to proceed on the sitework and storm water drainage. Work is also progressing fine on the installation of water and sewer mains to the Activity Center and Hotel site. Russ Nelson Construction of Cobb, Wisconsin has this job. The sewer lines have to travel over 1.5 miles to reach the site. The Economic Development Administration (EDA) has provided a $500,000 grant to the Tribe toward the total coast of $840,000 for the sewer and water installation. (Kalihwisaks, July 1985)
June 7, 1985- Mortgage papers for $8.3 million in loan from local financial institutions were signed last week for the Rodeway Inn. The loans were packaged by the State Bank of DePere. The remainder of the cost will be financed through a federal grant and private equity funding. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
June 8, 1985- The Oneida Senior Center conducts their grand opening located at 134 Riverdale Drive, Oneida, Wisconsin. (Kalihwisaks, June 1985, Volume 8)
July 10, 1985- Footings began to be poured during the week of July 10 and July 17, 1985. Nearly three quarters of the expected 23 contractors for different trade areas on the project have received contracts or letters of intent. Of the total $65 million in construction cost it appears that over $2.25 million (35%) will be going to Oneida owned contractors. (Kalihwisaks, June 1985, Volume 8, page 3)
July 26, 1985- The Oneida Nation Museum opens a new exhibit. The project consisted of an additional bark longhouse and the refinishing of the old edifice. The project was funded through a $1,500 grant from the Green Bay Service League. (Kalihwisaks, September 1985, page 2)
December 6, 1985- The Oneida Rodeway Inn hold a ceremony commemorating the topping out if the new hotel across from Green Bay Austin Straubel Airport. The topping out ceremonies will be highlighted by the raising of a lighted Christmas tree to the top of the roof of the center of the hotel (54 feet or approximately five stories high) The “topping out” ceremony is one generally associated with reaching the top of a skyscraper during construction, but contractors and planners of the new 202 room facility feel the event is a significant one for the Oneida Tribe’s economic development program. The ceremony is appropriate in this case since the Rodeway Inn will be the tallest building on Oneida Tribal lands. (Kalihwisaks, Dec. 1985, page 3)
December 9, 1985- The Oneida Public Safety Department Officers are sworn into office. The Oneida Tribe formally swore in the Chief of Public Safety and 13 additional Security Officers. (Kalihwisaks, December 1985, page 5)
1985- Oneida wins land claim settlement with New York for a total of 250,000 acres.
1985- Oneida wins land claim against New York State for ____acres. This begins the land claim settlement issue.
1986- Amus Christjohn
1986- Land Acquisition
1986- Norbert Hill Jr
1986- Oneida Traditions
1986- Oneida Women Leader
1986- Release Rose Kerstetter
1986- Research Associates
1986- Vestry Meeting (Pledges)
1986- Vestry Meeting
1986- William Skenandore
1986- The Great Father
1986- The 112th annual Council of the Diocese passed a resolution to denounce the Bi-county Commission of Brown and Outagamie Counties. The commission was established to study Indian jurisdiction rights on the Oneida reservation. (100th Anniversary of the Stone Church, July 26, 1986)
1986- The Tribal budget grew from $375,000 in 1973 to a projected $34million in 1986. (Kalihwisaks, February 1985)
1986- White Corn Program begins.
March 1, 1986- Rodeway Inn License Agreement- 25 year agreement #% gross sales paid in royalty fees 1% gross room sales paid in advertising fees $3.75 per room per month plus .7% gross room sales paid for the reservation system. Agreement terminated 8/15/88. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
May 1986- Oneida Rodeway Inn opens, occupies 2002 rooms- 18 suites, Shenandoah Restaurant, Great Lakes Complex, Fireplace lobby and Purcell’s lounge for approximately $10 million, conference center, dining area and entertainment center. The Oneida Rodeway Inn employs 180 people. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
June 26, 1986- Room Tax Agreement signed between the Green Bay Area Visitor and Convention Bureau and the Oneida Tribe. 5% of room sales paid by guest goes to fund the Convention Bureau and pay off Expo Centre bonds. Bureau provides services and staff to promote and attract convention and tourist trade to this area. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
September 30, 1986- Wipflip, Ullrich, Bertelson has been conducting the annual CPA audits for Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation and Oneida Realty Group Since FY86. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
1987- Oneida’s Accomplishments
1987- Treaty Rights
1987- New Article
April 26, 1987- The Oneida Tribe holds a grand opening for the Fitness Center and the Wellness Program Kickoff at the Norbert Hill Center. Activities include: bike testing, weight training exhibit, running clinic, nutrition booth, stop smoking information and alcohol abuse information, (Kalihwisaks, April 10, 1987, page9)
March 1987- Contract between Lodging Systems Management and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporations terminated due to owner’s dissatisfaction with performance of LSM; did not attain projection for sales or expenses.(Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
March 20, 1987- Management contract between MHM, Inc. and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation for management of hotel. 10 years agreement paying 3.75% of gross reenue as management fee. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
June 27, 1987- Grand reopening of Healthworks at Norbert Hill Center..
October 29, 1987- Purchased 77 acres. Present use: Oneida Nation Elementary School. This area is just part of the land the Oneida Tribe purchased from the Sacred Heart Center. (Land Management Records)
October 30, 1987- The Oneida Tribe opens the first mobile home court. The latest housing development on the reservation is a 22 site mobile home park. The park, constructed at a cost of $370,000 (including sewer and water lines) is locates on County H, in Oneida, 2.5 miles south of Wisconsin Highway 54. During the construction, which took over more than a year, the Tribe installed sewer and water systems at a cost of $120,000 and spent an additional $240,000 on the conversion and expansion of a sewerage treatment lagoon. The mobile home park called Green Earth Court, features over-sized lots, each averaging 6,000 square feet. (Kalihwisaks, Nov. 13, 1987, volume 43, page 7)
October 1987- Completed the 1987 Comprehensive Plan
1988- Consolidated Trout Poch
1988- Oneida a Nation New’s
1988- Oneida Dancers Scheduled
1988- The Oneida One Stop and the Tobacco Enterprise merge. (Kalihwisaks, July 29, 1995, page 2)
June 1, 1988- Loan Agreement between Kellogg Citizen National Bank and Oneida Tribe and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation for $8,021,799.00. Refinance original mortgage to realize lower interest rate. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
June 24, 1988- The new Oneida Tribal School Environmental Center was revealed to the public at a dedication ceremony. The log cabin structure, constructed by the Oneida Wisconsin Conservation Corp, will study plant life and environmental settings. (Kalihwisaks, July 8, 1988, volume 59, page 11)
July 15, 1988- Radisson Inn License Agreement between Oneida Realty Group and Carlson Hospitality Group, Inc. 20 year agreement. 3% gross room sales pain in royalty fees. 3.5% gross room sales paid in advertising fees. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
August 15, 1988- Rodeway Inn license Agreement 25 year agreement terminated.. Effective Monday, August 15, the Rodeway Inn operated by the Tribe will become the ‘Radisson Inn, Green Bay’. Janice Hirth, President of the Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation, made the announcement July 25. This is a franchise and name change, the hotel is still owned by the Oneida Tribe of Indians. The change to the Radisson offers the Tribe greater marketing opportunities in the upper Midwest market. (Kalihwisaks, August5,1988, volume 61, page 15)
July 15-17, 1988- Then Oneida One-Stop on E & EE has their grand opening. (Kalihwisaks, August 19, 1988, volume 62, page 8)
October17, 1988- President Reagan signed the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act of 1988 into law. (Kalihwisaks, November 4, 1988, volume 67, page5)
December 7, 1988- The Oneida Tribe and Brown County reach a dispatching agreement. The agreement calls for Brown County to provide dispatching services for Tribal Public Safety vehicles on a dual dispatch basis in that the Oneida Public Safety Department will be dispatching in addition to the Brown County Sheriff’s Department; that, there is no dual dispatch within the City of Green Bay; that Tribal vehicles will be dispatched along with units from Ashwaubenon within the boundaries of the Village of Ashwaubenon; and that Brown County will dispatch Tribal units on Outagamie County calls and notify the Outagamie County Sheriff of those dispatches. The agreement calls for the Tribe to pay Brown County $1,600 a month for the service. (Kalihwisaks, December 14, 1988, page1)
1989- Green Bay Chapter
1989- Inter Faith Task Force
1989- Oneida Indians
1989- Finland Tour
1989- Gary Metoxen Bio
1989- German Rail
1989- Howard Cannon Bio
1989- Indian Summer
1989- Irene Moore Bio
1989- Kutsu Tiedtustilaiswteen
1989- Letter Regarding Germany
1989- Lloyd E. Powless Bio
1989- Mark N. Powless Bio
1989- Myron A. Smith Bio
1989- Preliminary Program
1989- Purcell R. Powless Bio
1989- Richard Grah Hill Bio
1989- Wanda Lee Webster Bio
1989- Wendell W. McLester Bio
1990- General Tribal Council resolution for Family Activity Center (Repatriation.?)
August 1990-Purchaesed 117.38 acres. Present use: Oneida Business Park. (Land Management Records)
1991- Westwind Oneida One stop opens.
January 1, 1991- Lases between 1st American Games and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation for gaming area in Radisson Inn. Rent base is $400.00 per month plus 5% of net sales. Term- 3 years. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
September 19 1991- Amendment to Loan Agreement between Kellogg Citizen National Bank and Oneida Tribe and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation. Changed some language. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
April 1992- Purchased 151 acres. This included the VandeWalle Property. Present use: Residential homes. VandeWalle I has 14 homes and VandeWalle II has 47 homes.
April 27 1992- Oneida Tribe requests Kellogg Citizen National Bank to release the following convenants from the 6/1/88 Loan Agreement. Remove $650,000.00 limit on contractual obligations. Remove 4650,000.00 limit on investment in enterprise. Remove requirement of $16,000,000.00 fund balance. Release $500,000.00 escrowed for Hotel cash flow (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
May 12, 1992- MHM, Inc. merges with Richfield Hotel Management and asks Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation to sign an “Assignment & Assumption of Management Agreement”. To date OAHC has not acted on this agreement. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
July 1992- Purchased 261.89 acres. Present use: Oneida Nation Farm. The Oneida Nation Farm was formerly known as the Iroquois Farm. Refer to 1978. The Farm moves from Highway 172 and Florist to the newly purchased farm property. (Land Management Records)
1992- The expansion project was complete in the Fall of 1992 for the Oneida One Stop 54. In 1993, the Gaming and Retail Enterprise joined efforts to created to combined venture. The new station included retail services: gas, cigarettes, and convenience goods. The station also included a mini-casino that contains over 140 slots machines in nickel, quarter or dollars. Video poker and pull tabs were also available. The 1992 gross profit neared $105,000.00 (Kalihwisaks, February 2, 1993)
January 22, 1993- Lease between 1st American Games and Oneida Airport hotel Corporation for The Gathering restaurant. 1 year lease with $33,600.00 annual rent plus 5% of net operating profit.(Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
April 26, 1993- Kraus-Anderson Construction Company and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation agreement to provide construction management services for expansion project. Fee – $229,000.00 (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
May 19, 1993- Title Insurance Policy for $11,000,000.00 for expansion project. Policy with Brown County Title & Abstract, Inc. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
June 13, 1993- Richfield Architect 7 Deign and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation agreement to provide architectural, design and purchasing services to expand hotel. Also Provides for consultants needed, i.e. engineers. Fees for Richfield $240,000.00, consultants- $204,630.00, purchasing agent- 4% of merchandise purchased. Plus reimbursable expenses for all (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
June 30, 1993-Groundbreaking ceremony was held for $11 million dollars expansion of the Radisson Inn. The six-floor addition will be built adjacent to and connected with the existing building. It will add 99 guest rooms, a conference center, and a new restaurant which will seat 282 people. The project will be completed in June of 1994 and will create 125 new jobs. (Kalihwisaks, July 15, 1993, page 2)
July 1993- The Oneida Office of land Management officially begins the DREAM Loan Program. (DREAM stands for Direct Real Estate and Mortgage Program). The Tribe will purchase existing residential homes within the Oneida reservation. The land will stay in the Tribe’s name and the home (improvements) will be sold to a qualified enrolled tribal member who is at least 21 years old. (Kalihwisaks, July 30, 1993, page 5)
August 9, 1993- Debbie Doxtator is sworn in as the Oneida Tribal Chairwoman, Doxtator succeeds out- going tribal chairman Rick Hill. She succeeds Irene Moore, the first Tribal Chairwoman. The Business Committee includes: Debbie Doxtator, Chair: Loretta Metoxen, Vice Chair; Kathy Hughes, Treasurer; Julie Barton, Secretary; Members: Sandy Ninham, Gary Jordan, Ernie Stevens, Jr., Russell Metoxen, Shirley Hill(Kalihwisaks, August 19, 1993, page 1, volume )
August 19, 1993- The Oneida Tribe School Board broke ground for the new building for kindergarten through eighth-grade students. The $11 million building will be in the shape of a turtle and will open August 1994. (Kalihwisaks, August 19, 1993)
August 1993- Purchased 10.257 acres. Present use: BayBank. (Land Management Records)
September 20, 1993- Builders Risk Insurance Policy for $8,500,000.00. Oneida Realty Group- insured. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
September 20, 1993-Owners & Contractors Protective Liability Policy for $2,000,000.00 Oneida Realty Group- insured. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
October 1993- Purchased 9.62 acres formerly known as Babcock I Property, presently known as_____? (Land Management Records)
November 5-7 1993- Grand re-opening of One Stop on E & EE.
November 10 1993- Loan Covenant Agreement between the Oneida Tribe and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation provides $7,100,000.00 in equity to OAHC for capital improvements. OAHC must maintain $250,000.00 in Capital Improvement Reserve; 80% paid to Oneida Tribe beginning 10/1/94; 20% of net profit shall be maintained by OAHC. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
November 10 1993- Construction crew members celebrate a topping off ceremony for the Oneida Casino Parking Ramp. This six level structure, located at the New Casino site, equals 390,000 square feet . Construction of this 1,100 parking ramp began on August 23, 1993. Contractors included: Oneida Construction Department, Oneida Plumbing, Spancrete Incorporated, Selmer Company, Reeke- Marold, Hidden Valley Electric and Vos Electric. (Kalihwisaks, November 24, 1993, volume 179, page 1)
November 22, 1993- Promissory Note Between Oneida Tribe and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation for $ 1,000,000.00 for expansion project. 15 year note 7% interest. Monthly installment start 7/1/94.
Lease between 1st American Games and Oneida Airport Hotel Corporation for management of Black Jack Snack Shop (in new casino). 6 month term- $6,030.00 rent for term plus 5% of net operating profit. Agreement not signed yet. (Radisson Timeline, Pat Lassila)
November 24, 1993- The Oneida Nation will soon purchase $1.5 million in Bay Bancorportion stock, one-third of the bank’s operations. Holding 30,000 of the corporation’s 90,000 shares of stock will entitle the Oneida Nation to two positions on the Bay Bank board of directors. Included in the agreement will be the lease of 2.7 acres of land to Bay Bancorporation as a site for the bank. (Kalihwisaks, November 24, 1993, page6)
December 15, 1993- Oneida Casino Grand Opening. The Oneida nation opened its new $ 30 million casino on December 15 with a tobacco burning and the unveiling of a standing stone Water Fountain. (Kalihwisaks, December 21, 1993, page 1)
No Date- Purchased ___ acres. Present use: Howard Johnson Property.
1994- Oneida Casino Sewer and Water
1994- Tsyunhenhkwa store officially opens.
January 31 1994- Purchased 34.06 acres as part of Honor’s (Honoring our Neighbor’s Origins and Rights) First Acres Project. A permanent sign has been placed on the corner of Van Boxtel and Ranch Road. This property received its name because he organization HONOR chose this property as the first to benefit from its program which helps tribes to acquire land within their original reservation boundaries. The 34.06 acres are a rare, natural wetland with cultural medicinal plant life, a habitat for animals, and a home for waterfowl. (Land Management Records)
March 10 1994- The Oneida Nation in Wisconsin opened the Oneida Preservation Committee office in Chittenango, NY. (Kalihwisaks, March 29, 1994, page 9)
March 17, 1994- Dedication ceremony for Duane “Little Bear” King at the Oneida Little Bear Development Center. The Little Bear Development Center was dedicated to the memory of Little Bear, Duane King and honors all the children of the Oneida Nation (Kalihwisaks, March 29, 1994, page 8)
March 25, 1994- Groundbreaking ceremony for the Oneida Daycare Canter located on Highway 172 and South Overland Drive. (Kalihwisaks, March 29, 1994)
June 1994- Groundbreaking ceremony for BayBank located east of the airport on Comanche Road at Packerland Drive and will be the only independent bank in the area other than Capitol Bank in Howard. (Kalihwisaks, June 11, 1994, page3)
1994- Radisson Expansion includes an additional 99 guest rooms- 18 suites, Three Sisters Buffet Restaurant, Standing Stone Employee Cafeteria, Iroquois Conference Center, Laundry Expansion, kitchen expansion, Purcell’s lounge expansion, and Shenandoah remodeling. Approximately $11 million.( Pat Lassila Radisson Timeline)
July 1994- Purchased 37.58 acres. The Oneida Tribe purchased a 2,300 tree apple orchard. The Orchard has approximately 40 acres of trees. There is 30 acres of original orchard. Present use: Apple Orchard.
August 1994- The Oneida Airport Road Child Care (ARCC) facility opens. Rodney Wright, an architect out of Osseo, WI and his firm are responsible for the design of the ARCC. (Kalihwisaks, August 9, 1994, page 2)
August 1, 1994- Traffic lights installed at Hwy. 54 and Seminary Road
August 9, 1994- Bay Bancorporation sells 86,000 shares at $4.3 million. The Oneida Tribe owns one-third of the total shares at $1.5 million. more than 250 individuals, companies and organizations from Wisconsin own shares in the Bay Bank Corporation, the largest stakeholder being the Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin. (Kalihwisaks, August 9, 1994, page 2)
September 12, 1994- Oneida Nation Elementary School has its first day of school. The turtle shape school is a total of 160,400 square feet, 1,086 feet long and 434 feet wide. The total project cost $16 million due to change in materials. The Oneida Nation Tribal school, drawn by Jolee Skenandore in the shape of a turtle. It has a capacity of 600 students. Thern & Associates designed the School. (Kalihwisaks, September 27, 1994)
October 1994- Purchased ____acres. Present use: Retail Property.
November 7, 1994- Oneida Casino Access Road is built.
1995- The Apple Orchard planted an additional 5 nacres of new trees. These trees were to become the Organic Orchard.
March 1995- Purchased 60 acres. Present use: DeCaster House and Garage.
May 1995- Purchased 33.21 acres. Present use: Schaumann Lumber.
May 31, 1995- Bay Bank project complete.
August 22, 1995- With over two years of planning and waiting, Bay Bank opened on August 22, 1995 as 2555 Packerland Drive. The Oneida Nation holds 38 percent of the bank’s stock. (Kalihwisaks, September 7, 1995, page 1)
August 24, 1995- Purchased 12.01 acres. Present use: Enterprise Building. (Land Management Records)
October 1995- Purchased ___acres. Present use: Oneida Construction Property.
October 1, 1995- The Oneida Nation Elementary School project is complete.
October 21, 1995- History is made as tribal members raise the sign on Highway 172 and Packerland Drive that says, “Oneida Nation Reservation.” The sign, measuring two-by-five feet is the Department of Transportation green with white lettering. It is one of five signs that will be erected along the reservation boundaries on highway 29, 54 and 55.” (Kalihwisaks, October 21, 1995, volume 225, page 1)
October 30, 1995- Airport Road Daycare is complete.
October 30, 1995- Enterprise Building Remodeling/parking
October 30, 1995- Norbert Hill Center renovation
December 1995- Purchased 2 acres. Present use: Parish Hall.
December 30, 1995- Oneida Department Public Works Warehouse
December 30, 1995- Accounting/Building Renovation.
1995- Duck Creek/ Apple- Ashwaubenon Creek Priority Watershed Project begins.
1996- The Oneida Apple Orchard expanded the Organic Orchard by five acres and planted another 1,200 new trees in 1997
January 1996- Purchased 10 acres. Present use: DeCaster I House. Purchased 49.69 acres. Present use: DeCaster II Property. (Cultural Heritage/Language Revitalization)
January 11, 1996- The Department of Public Works department finishes a new garage. The new garage is 60 feet by 100 feet steel frame facility with three lifts to service 140 tribal vehicles, including safety inspections, general maintenance, tuneups, washes and repairs. (Kalihwisaks, January 11, 1996, page 11)
January 24, 1996- The Oneida Police Department moves into their new 22,000 square foot building. The building is located at County Road E at Florist Drive (next to Holy Apostles Cemetery.) The building is 135 x 84 feet and two stories tall. Kahler- Slater architects and design students at UWGB designed the building. (Kalihwisaks, January 9, 1996, page 1)
February 1996- The Oneida Nation Youth Educational Services program begins. Native Americans attending surrounding school districts have or will soon have the best available tutoring program to take advantage of. (Kalihwisaks, February 24, 1996, page 9)
February 24, 1996- Oneida Nation Electronics formed a partnership with Plexus Corporation of Neenah, huge electronics design, manufacturing and testing concern. ONE will employ employees who will assemble computer circuit boards in a new facility eventually manufacture electronic products. The plant will ne 170,000 square feet on the first level for production, and a second floor of 27,000 square feet for administrative space. (Kalihwisaks, February 24, 1996, page8) (Check source!!!)
????? April 1996- Purchased __acres. Present use: Ridgeway Property.
August 30, 1996- Oneida One Stop and Lucky U Expansion
August 28, 1996- Norbert Hill Center School Upgrade (High School) Phase I
September 1996- Trailer Park/ Tornado Shelter
September 12, 1996- MIS Communication Building
September 26, 1996- The Oneida Nation Farm consists of eight farm facilities with 920 head of beef steers, and a facility with 51 head of Angus cow/calves. Currently, the farm consists of 6,200 which we produce a variety of crops-hay, soybeans, oats, winter wheat and corn (white and sweet corn) (Kalihwisaks, September 26, 1996, page 5)
December 1996- Purchased 32 acres. Present use: OLC/Fitness Center/Social Services
December 1996- Oneida formed a partnership with Wisconsin Wireless Communications Corporations of Little Chute in a successful bid to the operating license for $94.6 million to provide wireless phone service to most of the state and part of Iowa. The Nation owns 49 percent of the concern. It is committing $30 million to the operation. (Kalihwisaks, October 10, 1996, page 3)
December 31, 1996- Law Enforcement Center is Complete.
1997- The Apple Orchard planted approximately five acres of pumpkins and various types of squash.
March/April 1997- Elderly Services first apartments open.
June 1997- Tribal land ownership at 10,180 acres. (1997 OEDP)
March 17, 1997- ONE (Oneida Nation Electronics Manufacturing Facility) Oneida Nation Electronics and Plexus Corporation make final plans to open the new electronic assembly manufacturing facility on March 17, 1997. (Kalihwisaks, March 6, 1997, page 1)
March 1997- Addition to Land Management Building
September 26, 1997- The Oneida Library has a grand re-opening due to an expansion of an additional 2,500 square feet. (Kalihwisaks, October 2, 1997, page 1)
September 9, 1997- Ground purification ceremony for the Food Distribution Center will be held on Tuesday, September 9, 1997 at 12:00noon for a new warehouse. The facility moved from its present location on Fish Creek Road which has housed the program since its inception in 1980. The Oneida Food Distribution Program distributes nutritional food products to qualified member of the Oneida community. (Communication News Release, September 5, 1997)
October 17, 1997- Parish Hall Restoration is complete. The grand opening of the renovated Oneida Episcopal Church will be held on October 17, 1997 from 10:30-2:00 p.m. The hall went under $2.1 million in restoration. The Parish Hall will serve as a community building available for weddings, anniversaries, and other events. It can accommodate 270 occupants, has a full- service kitchen with a deep fryer, convection oven and dishwasher, banquet tables and seats, a small conference room for up to 16 people, and office space. (Kalihwisaks, October 2, 1997, page 15)
November 1997- Oneida Inn (Howard Johnson’s) Demolition
May 1998- S&L Motors project complete
June 12 1998- Food Distribution grand opening.
December 1998- Tsyunhehkwas Center project complete moved in,
June 1999- Established a Garden Club at Tsyunhehkwas
May 10, 1999- Ground purification ceremony for the Oneida Post Office.
May 14, 1999- Dedication of Tsyunhehkwas Greenhouse.
May 15, 1999- Grand Opening of the Tsyunhehkwas Greenhouse.
May 24, 1999- Established a seed and plant distribution program.
December 1999- Total land acquisition:10,929.7675 acres. (Land Management Records)
April 3, 2000 OPEN begins ( Oneida Pantry Emergency Network).
August 2000- Oneida Health Center
July 3, 2088- On Sunday July 3, 1988, as part of the Treaty of 1838 Sesquicentennial Celebration, a small group gathered to witness the sealing and burial near the Peace Tree at the Norbert Hill Center with the intention that it be re-opened in the year 2088 a.d. upon 250th anniversary of the Treaty of 1838. To view the list of articles within the capsule, refer to the Kalihwisaks article, July 22, 1999, volume 60, page 3)